Saturday 19 May 2018

Five Years From Now by Paige Toon



Nell and Van meet as children when their parents fall in love, but soon they are forced worlds apart.

Five years later, they find each other.  Their bond is rekindled and new feelings take hold, but once again they must separate.
 
For the next two decades, fate brings Nell and Van together every five years, as life and circumstance continue to divide them.

Will they ever find true happiness?
And will it be together?


I have really struggled to write a review for Five Years From Now by Paige Toon as it is quite simply a remarkably tender read that I absolutely loved, so I want to shout about it from the roof tops but in the same breath I don’t want to give anything away.
The storyline follows Nell and Van from their first meeting at 5 years old after their parents fall in love and move in together. Although it was a frosty start the pair soon become inseparable until years later a terrible event pulls the two apart.
Five years later the pair are reunited and they have a lot of catching up to do and there are heightened feelings added to the mix but again they are forced apart.
Nell and Van end up reuniting every 5 years through life’s ups and downs but will they always be torn apart.
This is my favourite book of the year so far. I can not remember the last book I read where the characters felt so life like to me and the storyline so believable, raw and honest. I have only ever cried at two previous books and that was some time ago but this book touched me you could tell the author had poured such emotion into this storyline.
The book begins on quite a light hearted note with Nell and Van only 5 years old so there is that innocence and cheekiness from the characters and a little humour to especially when deciding on which bunk bed to have I did have a little chuckle at the reasoning behind it!
As the storyline progresses the characters begin to age we watch them blossom into respectful teens and adults but they have a lot of emotions going on that they question and us as a reader question but the author tackles these thoughts in the storyline through other characters. Nell and Van are such loveable and honest characters who care for each other but also care about the thoughts and feelings of those around them too.
The chapters are broken into 5 year intervals and the five years is significant as a question pops up a couple of times about how your life was 5 years ago and how your life will be five years from now and this really got me looking back and forward in my life too so it is a thought provoking read.
I love that it wasn’t a predictable read and this is why I want to be so careful with what I mention about the storyline as this was why it was such an emotive and unexpectant read as I really was going in with no expectations which made every chapter have an impact on me.
This has definitely taken the top spot of Paige Toon’s books and it is the best book I have read so far this year. A sincere, honest and heart breaking romantic read that I wish I could read for the first time all over again. I really couldn’t leave Nell and Van behind and although I tried to read a few other books after I couldn’t settle as I was longing to be back with the pair and so I did just that and went back and read it again for a second time, something I have never done!





1 comment:

  1. I so agree with this. so unpredictable.I was a blubbering mess. just finished the book and finding it hard to leave those characters behind. so well written!

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS