Thursday 30 June 2016

Florence Grace by Tracy Rees


Florrie Buckley is an orphan, living on the wind-blasted moors of Cornwall. It's a hard existence but Florrie is content; she runs wild in the mysterious landscape. She thinks her destiny is set in stone. But when Florrie is fifteen, she inherits a never-imagined secret. She is related to a wealthy and notorious London family, the Graces. Overnight, Florrie's life changes and she moves from country to city, from poverty to wealth. Cut off from everyone she has ever known, Florrie struggles to learn the rules of this strange new world. And then she must try to fathom her destructive pull towards the enigmatic and troubled Turlington Grace, a man with many dark secrets of his own.

Selecting which books to take away with me on my break to Cornwall was a hard one but with Florence Grace by Tracy Rees set on the Cornich Moors it was a no brainer that this one had to come with me.

Florence Grace or Florrie Buckley as she was known when we were first introduced to her, is a fiesty free spirited young girl who has grown up on the Cornish Moors, she was a gifted child and I was fascinated by her character right from the opening chapter.
Florrie's life took a drastic change after her nan died and her mother's wealthy family, the Grace Family, claimed her and took her away to London to live a completely different life. But is it a life that Florence can adjust to or does her heart still belong to the moors?

The authors vivid writing style brought the setting in both London and the Cornish Moors to life. Tracy Rees has managed to allow the reader to see how claustrophobic and suffocating London felt to Florence compared to the welcoming expanse of land that allowed her to feel free.

The storyline felt very realistic and never far fetched so I found that I enjoyed the book all the more for this. Each of the characters were extremely well developed some I loved others I loathed but they all were an integral part of the book. Turlington was a highly developed and complex character who managed to keep me on my toes the whole way through and I was unsure on what would become of his character in the end and I must say I was surprised with direction his character took at the end.

I loved the mystery that surrounded Old Rilla and I would have loved to have seen her character pop up more in the book. Of course our main character Florence Grace was my favourite character she was a strong minded and determined character who didn't give up easily and wasn't afraid to speak her mind! As we watch Florence try to adapt to her new life in London over the years we wait to see if the life of riches and love is enough to make her stay in London.

The storyline has a troubled and forbidden romance that had me constantly swaying as to whether or not the relationship could develop or not. My only little problem with the book was the last third of the book felt a little drawn out and my attention had began to waver but luckily the author pulled it back with a great ending that tied everything up not leaving us on a cliff hanger.

Having enjoyed Florence Grace and finding it a beautifully written and captivating read I look forward to now going back and reading her debut Amy Snow.



Paperback              Kindle


ALSO WHY NOT TREAT YOURSELF TO AMY SNOW WHICH IS CURRENTLY AN AMAZING PRICE ON KINDLE.


No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS