Wednesday 25 November 2015

The Secret by the Lake by Louise Douglas


A FAMILY TRAGEDY Amy’s always felt like something’s been missing in her life. When a tragedy forces the family she works for as a nanny to retreat to a small lakeside cottage, she realises she cannot leave them now.

A SISTER’S SECRET But Amy finds something unsettling about the cottage by the lake. This is where the children’s mother spent her childhood – and the place where her sister disappeared mysteriously at just seventeen.

A WEB OF LIES Soon Amy becomes tangled in the missing sister’s story as dark truths begin rising to the surface. But can Amy unlock the secrets of the past before they repeat themselves?


Having just finished reading The Secret by the Lake I can say this is easily the most chilling book that I have read this year. I made the mistake of starting this book late at night on my own which wasn’t the best idea as I had some freaky dreams that night!

When the family who Amy used to Nanny for finds their life changed dramatically they move back to the Lakeside Cottage and Amy returns to the family knowing that they need her now more than ever and yet when she arrives at the cottage she is uneasy from the moment she steps inside.  There are mysterious happenings in the house and secrets kept well and truly hidden and Amy has no choice but to get to the bottom of them.

This was such a deep dark and intense read that had me captivated from the first chapter. At points in this book I had goose bumps up my arms and tingles down my spine thanks to the creepy atmosphere that the author created. This was a very descriptive book which made me feel as though I could see, feel and hear everything that Amy could too, a part of me relieved a little of my childhood memories again so I wanted to join Amy in pulling a cabinet in front of the door so nothing can get in!

The book is set at a great pace slowly building up apprehension and intrigue and then the pace quickened as the secrets and clues were all discovered. I found this to be a unpredictable and shocking read that I found very disturbing and heart breaking as well as scaring the life out of me.

All of the characters in this book were so well drawn, I had my suspicions about various characters some which I was right to be and others that I got completely wrong. I found myself becoming quite protective over Viviane and urging Amy to help and protect her especially in something that I had an idea maybe going on.


This was a mysteriously chilling read that I could not put down as much as it was freaking me out.


Kindle                      Paperback

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS