Thursday 16 July 2015

A Proper Family Adventure by Chrissie Manby



Thanks to an unexpected windfall, the Bensons are treating themselves to a luxury cruise. With stop-offs in Barcelona, Rome and Marseilles, plus constant entertainment onboard, it's a dream come true . . . Or is it?

Last time Chelsea Benson went on holiday with this lot she nearly went crazy. Her mum and sister are convinced Chelsea's boyfriend Adam will propose on the ship. Chelsea's sure he won't, but she can't help feeling butterflies as they set sail. 

Is Adam going to pop the question, or will the only thing to pop be Chelsea's ego?



My face must have been a picture when A Proper Family Adventure arrived in the post! I absolutely adored the first two books in the series, so much so that they have remained on my shelf rather than being lent to friends so you can imagine how eager I was to start this book.

The Bensons are back and on true form! After Grandad Bill has a lottery win ( yes he really does this time) the family decide to take a holiday together and opt to go on a cruise.  Armed with his sonic screwdriver Jack is ready and raring to go but there is one thing that seems to be on their minds could this holiday be the perfect time for Adam to pop a burning question to Chelsea?

I have never read a book with a family who I have touched me like the Bensons have. They are so down to earth and full of laughs and when the going gets tough they are always there for each other. I am so fond of all of the characters in the family that I couldn’t pick a favourite as they all bring their own little something to each storyline. Grandad Bill and Jack certainly provide most of the entertainment and Jack and Lily’s constant bickering and competition against each other constantly had me chuckling away.

We are introduced to two new characters in this book Jane and Kirsty their storyline has a connection with the Bensons so it was great to have another storyline weaved in but ultimately the Bensons stole the show!

We join the family on their trips ashore and they visit some impressive places which the author describes in vivid detail, my favourite stop was in Gibraltar there was a particular incident that really tickled me!

Although parts of the storyline were predictable I really didn’t mind this as the book offers so much enjoyment, it isn’t about big twists and turns it is just the enjoyment of a normal fun loving family and their flaws!


This is book three in The Proper series and although I think you could read this as a standalone because the book does revert back at times to remind you of events from the previous book I still think it is best to read them in order so you grow to love the family more and more with each book. I was sure that by the end of book three that the Benson’s story would be finished but it is far from it, I cannot wait to read the next book in the series so roll on Christmas!


Kindle                      Paperback 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds great. Need to look up the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all as good as each other, ideal holiday read that will set the perfect scene and make you laugh out loud! xx

      Delete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS